Sunday, August 2, 2015

KNOW, LISTEN, SEE, AND UNDERSTAND THE STRUGGLES. THEN ACCEPT.

To be honest with you, I don't act or talk as if I know half of the problems that is in our society, at leas I tried not to. Especially when it comes to political issue or anything that isn't related to literature or science, because even in those subject, I still have no clue about most of the issue or the things that are important right now.

I know that I don't usually write about this sort of things but I wanted to write something about the struggles our society are going through as I was inspired by one TED YouTube video and I know I am no writer and I am no journalist as well, so just bare with me here.

Right now, even with all the new inventions and all the discoveries, there seem to be one (of the many) problem that our society struggle with, and that is: acceptance.
We struggle to just listen before we throw some insults and judgments into it and before we started arguing and debating whether the subject that we, or you, are discussing is right, or wrong. We seem to struggle to understand the concept of "Freedom of Speech" (or maybe it is I, that struggled to understand. Your opinion, that is your right to have one.); we seem to struggle to remember that there are also a limitation to this concept because as we all understand, there is always a thin line between everything and a thin line between freedom of speech and hate speech is one of it and we also seem to be struggling to see when we did crossed that line. A similar example for this is that we all know there is a very thin line of being rude and being honest and honestly, I myself used to struggle to understand this and I used struggle to see when I seem to be crossing that line, I sometimes still do.

I say this with great despair, this "issue" happens often especially when it comes to religion. I think it would be easy to blame most problems, if not everything, at religion. And I also think it would also be easy to blame the other half, if not also everything, at society. But what I think important is that, as human beings, we are created with a mind so extraordinary and we are meant to learn new things with it and to evolve. We are able to grow into something, and someone who is even more extraordinary than we already are. And as much as I love to live in a world of black and white, at some point I'll need to come to terms with the "grey" world and I'm not talking about 50 Shades of Grey here. And I'm not here to defend religion as well, I am merely here stating my opinion and you might see it differently or even make a slight change to this view of mine, but I hope that you'll listen before turning it down.

And as the great Indonesian Activist used to say, "Bagiku sendiri politik adalah barang yang paling kotor. Lumpur-lumpur yang kotor. Tapi suatu saat dimana kita tidak dapat menghindari diri lagi, maka terjunlah." In other words, though as much as we hate or dislike politics, it is very essential so no matter how long you avoid it, at some point you'll need to come to terms with it. It is the same with everything else and because we can only agree with or love something passionately and purposefully only when we know it, the subject of the matter in depths. Because we talk so much about change. How this person needs to change this, how this president needs to do this to change this and that. What we keep forgetting is that, we are that person. We can make that change. Because we need to know when our opinion and our "Freedom of Speech" is hurting someone. Because we need to understand, not everyone has the same heart nor mind as you. Because if we (though it is still not everyone) can accept gay marriage and finally accept and begun to stand-up in addressing  inequalities and discrimination faced by women and girls in other words gender equality, we need to be more accepting and more globally aware of other things because ignorance is not a bliss. and I need to point this out, sometimes, it is okay to speak up. Sometimes, we all are encourage to speak up. We are so scared to stand-up and speak up even when it is necessary to do it. So speak your mind, as there will always be assholes wherever you go but that should not discourage you to be nice to others and discourage you from being brave because of those people. Because we are the very foundation of this society and we need to stay on the "table" and change our crippled society. Because its hard to build a straight house on a crooked foundation, and as a person, I know how hard it is to change. Its hard. Its not easy, but doesn't mean its not possible.

You don't have to agree with what I just said, but all I want you to do is know, listen, see and understand the struggles, then accept.




no hate x,
C. L.

No comments: